Sunday, September 16, 2007

Second Solo Sail

Too many days had gone by since my first solo sail on Dream Weaver. After last week's solo motoring overnighter it seemed appropriate to do some sailing. The day was absolutely brilliant. When I got down to the harbor there seemed to be a 10mph light breeze.

Before I left the mooring I removed the sailcover, cleared the deck of fenders and dock lines, and gave things a general once over. When I got to the channel there seemed a good breeze off the starboard quarter so I unfurled the jib. But I meerly had steerage way. So I went back to the diesel.

Out in the bay I was hoping for much better. However, I have been forming the opinion of late that it is always windier in the harbor than in the bay and windier yet down the channel between Sears I. and Cape Jellison. Getting out into the bay only strengthened this view.



But, I hoisted the main and unfurled the jib...




The wind was light and variable. You could see on the surface where the wind kicked up waves from 1 to 3... inches that is. I eeked out a little headway sailing by the wind. This way, then that way, then no way.

After an hour or so I called it quits and motored back to the harbor.



If nothing else, the day was calm, cool, and a good for just taking in the beauty of it all.


1 comment:

Catherine said...

Beautiful shots, Mr.Hoge! So glad you're a "fellow blogger!" I look forward to more! xo